Saturday, June 9, 2007

Friends

Before actually getting started on this Sabbatical adventure, I planned some vacation time with my son Rob in West Palm Beach. We spent most of the time ripping out his kitchen and then wondering how to put it back together. (We're still wondering.) Other than work we just "hung out". We had a great time just spending the time together. However, while we were hanging out, I met some of his friends. He seems to have thousands. Great folks who just love being around for one another and helping one another. It was a very New Testament experience in a non church setting. No real expectations just a general sense of acceptance and love. It made me really appreciate friends.

Starting the sabbatical officially in Florida, where I had left my car, I met my friend (I have fewer of them it seems than my son) and we are spending the week driving. Our only planned destination is Atlanta to visit North Point and sit under Andy Stanley. More on that later. But traveling with this friend, who has been in my life for about 25 years and has been sort of spiritual big brother, is already turning out to be a great way to start this spiritual adventure. The idea of the church was and is after all fellowship - koinonia. More than just a chat over coffee, it seems to be just a simple ongoing investment in someone else's life. So here we are spending a week in each others lives, in an unhurried exploration of the world around us. It's actually a fairly unique experience for me. (lesson 1?)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Pastor. I'm excited to read Pastor Bob and Anne's excellent adventures!

Someday, I think we'll all be surprised to see how many friends we really do have (and how many people we have been a friend to) in the context of the Body of Christ. I think the younger generation has a better idea about community than we do. The danger is raising the banner of community over truth--but then I guess that's partly what you'll be studying this summer.

Blessings
Nan